Preparing the new platform
- Create a new directory
- Create a new SFTP account
- Create a new mySQL DB and user
- Update wp-config.php
- Update DNS to point to the new folder
Create a new directory
Just one minor rant before I get started – 1&1 your cPanel replacement is rubbish!!!
Anyway job number 1 is creating a folder on the server for everything to be dumped into.
- Log into 1&1 admin page > left-hand menu
This brings up a new page with an embedded folder view.
- ‘New folder’ icon or select ‘file’ > ‘New folder’
- type the folder name > ok
Create a new SFTP account
- Left-hand panel ‘Secure FTP account’
- Select ‘New user’ button
- Complete desired:-
- User name – or more precisiely the second half of the desired username as it uses the main account name as the first half.
- Password, also with a ‘Repeat password’
- Description – one habbit I’ve made myself get into is always writing meaningful descriptions to my future self
- Directory – point this at the newly created directory above
- click the ‘save’ button
Rather than creating a global account and using this for all sites I’m compartmentalising everything – to keep it all segregated and in order.
Create a new mySQL DB and user
- Left-hand panel ‘MySQL Database’
- Select ‘New database’ button
- Complete the desired info:-
- Description of the new database
- Version of the new database : MySQL 5.5
- Password & Repeat password
- Click ‘set up’
- Note down the details of the database
- Click ‘Go To Overview’
Next the new database settings need to be added tot he wp-config file.
- In the root directory of the downloaded site open wp-config.php with a text editor – Notepad++ for me.
- Change the following, to the values from above:-
- define(‘DB_NAME’, ‘1&1databasename’);
- define(‘DB_USER’, ‘1&1username’);
- define(‘DB_PASSWORD’, ‘1&1password‘);
- define(‘DB_HOST’, ‘1&1hostname’);
- Save this
Update DNS to point to the new folder
- Left-hand panel > Domains
- Click ‘Transfer domain from another provider’
- ‘Domain check’ > type in the domain > select the right top level endind > click ‘check’
- select/check ‘Point DNS to 1&1 name servers and keep your current registrar.’ > ‘next’
- select ‘Use the 1&1 mail servers.’ > next
- Note down the details > click ‘order’
Next the new domian needs to be pointed at the right folder
- Left-hand panel > Domains > ‘Manage domains’
- Select the relevant domain > ‘Edit Destination’
- In the Webspace section select the desired folder > ‘save’